Skip to main content

Misfit Vapor on iPhone X


Image result for misfit vapor review smartwatch

On continuing our "Googlefying" we turn to Android Wear device on iPhone X I will introduce the Misfit's Vapor smartwatch. Let me say upfront I am not a fan of Apple's iWatch. Yes the hardware is good and it is very functional. However, Android watches offer appeal especially for Android users and furthermore offers something different. Although you might not get all the functionality of an iWatch you still get the benefits of a Smartwatch.
    
There are many variations of the android wear from big name watch developers, and Jewelry watch makers. Such as Fossil (Vapor Q) Movado (Unisex), Lg (Lg Watch Sport), Asus(Zenwatch) , (Huawei Watch 2), Moto 360, and Others. Variety is a spice of life and with android wear you have those in spades! Now that we are in 2018 I think we will see some new and solid software for Android Wear users. Until then we have what's out now. 

Although there are a couple of drawbacks from using an Android Wear Watch (AWW), which I will explain later, its not much if you want something different from an iWatch that has not changed its core design in Years. 

misfit vapor review smartwatchToday, I am going to introduce the Misfit Vapor Smartwatch (MVS). Why this watch? Well because it is basically a bare bone Smartwatch that gets the job done at the right price. I bought this watch at the $200 level , and seen it drop to $149 as a on Sale. But at the original price it was still a great deal to pick up the MVS at that price. At the time of this write it is listed at $200 on Amazon.com I predict that price will drop again and stay at a lower price.

Now what can you do with an Android Wear Watch on an iPhone X? ALOT!!! Google created an Android Wear App for iOS so that you can use any AWS that support Android Wear. This give you plenty of options to choose from. The following is some of what you can do with AWS on an iPhone X. Some of these features are specific to Misfit Vapor and other smart watches may or may not support those special features. Below is an screen record for the MVS.


  • Receive Notifications 
  • Google Assistant
  • Email Notifications 
  • Swim With It (Misfit Vapor)
  • View who's calling (Can't reply,Answer, when someone is calling that feature is only for iWatch maybe in the future. 
  • Gmail Notifications 
  • Respond to Gmail using voice. YES YES AND YES (Misfit Vapor)
  • Receive Messages (Can't reply to TXT messages)
  • Control Your Music 
  • Google Fit
  • Store Your Music up to 3GB (Misfit Vapor)
  • Microphone (Misfit Vapor)
  • Wi-Fi
Hopefully Google and Android Wear  will be able to do more with the iPhone X in Android Wear Updates. 

Somethings you can't do with AW on an iPhone X.
  • Can't Call or Answer phone. You can however deny calls which is better than nothing. And  (I Guess) besides who wants to speak into their wrist like Michael Knight?  I DO dam it!! Wish I was able answer calls with AW but that will be a long time coming for a AW user using the iPhone X.
  • Use Siri. You can't  use Siri on AW.  But lets face it if you are using AW with your iPhone X then you don't want Siri. 
  • Apple Pay
  • NFC (Near Field Communication) 
As of now Android Wear 2.0 which is the latest Android Wear. But I fear that it will be a long time coming before Android Wear on iPhonx X will do as much as an iWatch does on an iPhone X. Maybe with Android Wear 3.0 

I have tested the Misfit Vapor Smartwatch in the pool and can confirm that yes it can withstand at least 5 hours of active pool wear. I do recommend getting an screen protector for your smartwatch. It helps because usually smartwatches are thicker than traditional watches. Because of that they perturede out more and more susceptible to scratches.




Misfit Vapor Tips:
  • Not Charging
    1. Unplug the usb and remove watch from cradle. Plug back in the USB and cradle the watch. 
    2. ADJUST THE WATCH ON THE CRADLE. Plenty of times I rest the watch down on the cradle and not realize it was not charging.  
    3. Change usb. Use another USB inlet.
    4. If in developer mode it wont charge properly. If debugging stop debugging and let it charge. 
    5. Charge overnight. 
    6. If all else fails ...Keep trying trying and good luck!
At one point when I tried to charge it using the methods above, it still would not charge. I put it on the charger hoping and left it alone. I came back to it after a day and it powered on. If you are a gadget person or techie you know that feeling when something does not work and it magically works. These types of things happen all the time. But ever since then it has been working without a problem.

As you can see I am bias towards the Misfit Vapor Smartwatch. Moreover I love the price point for what you get. No it's no Apple Watch and that's the point.

Here are some other Android Wear other companies Like LG, Movado, Samsung and various manufactures. All these watches can be used with an iPhone X with Android Wear installed.

Fossil Gen 3 Android Smartwatch
Available on Amazon
Movado Android Smartwatch
Fossil Gen 1
LG Android Smartwatch
on Amazon 
There's more to this smartwatch then what's listed here. And although it may not be as functional as an iWatch I think you would be satisfied with what you can do with it. And with way more choices to choose from. Til next time! Happy Googlefying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jackbox Games

Jackbox Games are AWESOME. You can play it on PS4, XBOX, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV and iPad, Amazon fire, Mac App Store, Android TV, NVIDIA SHIELD TV and of course PC(Steam/Mac) and various other devices that allow you to download an app or game. Best of all you can use your own mobile device, tablet or even PC to play the games. No other accessories are needed. Jackbox games creates trivia based games. Games in where knowledge is not the only way you can win. Messing with your opponent face to face is funny as hell. Jackbox most popular game by far is Fibbage. It is a trivia based games in where you can bluff out your appointment with ridiculous or cleaver answers. Best of all up to 8 people can play. Take a look at the videos below. I bought this game on a whim that me and my family could play at least one freaking Xbox game together. Since I am the only gamer in the family it was a task that was not easy. Even my mother enjoyed watching us play (She opted to watch us and

Googlefying Your New iPhone X

Googlefying my iPhone X Let me start of by saying this is the first iPhone I have ever owned. I have been a long term Android user and hold no bias (Not Anymore) towards Apple's iPhones. Furthermore, the Apple vs Android debate no longer interest me.  This is going to be a mini series on how to turn your new Iphone into a "Googleish" powerhouse. Keyboard When I had the opportunity to buy the Iphone x I only bought it with the hopes that I could use this phone and retain my google ecosystem that I am accustomed to when using Android. One of the things that was a must have for me was the use of third party keyboards. My all time favorite was  Swiftkey . I did not want to retrain my typing abilities to use Apple's standard mobile keyboard. Yes you can use third party keyboards with Apple. Which was not always the case.  Third party keyboards such as Swiftkey was a must have if I were to venture into apples “walled garden”. I still needed a key to Android’s way of